Upscaling Private FLR Investments in Latin America
- Paraguay, Peru and El Salvador
- 03/2019 - 02/2022
- Bundesministerium für Umwelt, Naturschutz und nukleare Sicherheit (BMU)
In the context of the Bonn Challenge, Latin American countries have committed to ambitious forest landscape restoration targets, which play a key role in achieving their Nationally Determined Contributions under the Paris Agreement. For their successful implementation, significant private sector investments are needed. Key barriers hindering such investments include a lack of bankable projects, the complexity of data requirements for impact and risk monitoring, and a lack of suitable financial products for sustainable land use investments. In the framework of the German funded International Climate Initiative, UNIQUE implemented preparatory investment measures, and created feasible projects for potential investors in collaboration with a range of sustainable impact investors, and agricultural extension service providers on the ground.
- Development of IT solutions to monitor the impacts and risks of sustainable land use investments.
- Sourcing of investment-ready forest landscape restoration projects.
- Capacity building and knowledge sharing with interested parties in forest landscape investments.
- Development of GCF concept note to secure future funding of sustainable land use investments.