- 05/2014 - 04/2016
- Bundesministerium für Umwelt, Naturschutz, Bau und Reaktorsicherheit
Public funding for REDD+ alone will not be sufficient to effectively address drivers of deforestation. A promising option is to channel private sector investments in activities that reduce pressure on remaining forests. The aim of this project is to develop sustainable business models in the land use sector in line with the logic of REDD+. The project falls under the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Buildings and Nuclear Safety (BMUB) International Climate Initiative (ICI). Leading the consortium with Climate Focus, UNIQUE conducted this long-term project in three phases: (i) country scoping and pre-feasibility studies, (ii) business model development and feasibility studies and (iii) technical and institutional support for implementation of the most promising business model.
- Comprehensive analysis of drivers, agents and underlying causes of deforestation.
- Spatial analysis of Oromia to stratify the region into priority landscapes for intervention.
- Detailed analysis of drivers and strategy options, including cost assessment, in priority areas.
- Capacity building for national counterparts to ensure program viability and sustainability.
- Beyond forest sector, assessment of key commodities causing deforestation using value chain approach