- 12/2015 - 07/2019
Ethiopia is home to rich biodiversity, which is highly threatened inside and outside designated protected areas. The national institutions for the management of protected areas have not been able to effectively implement conservation policies. As a result, the protection and sustainable use of biodiversity is not well managed on a wide scale. Within the framework of the project "Biodiversity Conservation and Sustainable Management of Natural Resources for Livelihoods in Ethiopia," GIZ supports the Ethiopian government in capacity development for effective management of protected areas. Commissioned in consortium with NABU (Naturschutzbund Deutschland e.V), UNIQUE is responsible for strengthening the capacities of two regional governments for the management of the Yayu and Sheka biosphere reserves.
- Technical advice in biosphere reserve management.
- Consultation regarding income-generating activities in biosphere reserves.
- Advice to integrate the biosphere reserve concept in the National Protected Areas System.
- Organizational development of partners at local, regional and national level.
- Human capacity development of key actors.
- Facilitation of multi stakeholder platforms and networks.