Sustainable increase of the productivity of beech forests
- 010/2015 - 10/2018
- Fachagentur Nachwachsende Rohstoffe e.V.
The third national forest inventory has confirmed that deciduous forest areas continue to increase in Germany. Nevertheless, demand for softwood timber as the dominant construction timber still remains high, and softwood sales are a decisive economic factor for forest enterprises. In this context, the FNR commissioned UNIQUE and the FVA Baden-Württemberg with the quantification of effects of temporary softwood admixtures in beech stands for Germany. Growth effects, economic calculations as well as climate impact and risk assessments were recorded for different locations. The effect of Natura 2000 nature conservation stipulations should be taken into consideration and silvicultural recommendations should be made. UNIQUE was responsible for ensuring the relevance of the scientific results, to be used in practice.
- Forest enterprise analysis of experiences with temporary softwood admixtures (sites, silviculture, growth).
- Result forecast: estimation of the potentials of temporary softwood admixtures in beech stands.
- Determination of the value added effects for forest enterprises.
- Presentation of the relevance in Natura 2000 areas and of climate impacts.