Global Timber Outlook 2050
On behalf of the International Tropical Timber Organization (ITTO), Unique produced a global outlook study for wood products and timber supply until 2050, including scenarios of increased use of wood in the circular bioeconomy. The study analyzed future demand for wood products disaggregated by world regions and for the most important primary processed wood products. It focused on the role of forest types and production systems (natural forest, plantations and agroforestry) for future supply of timber and wood fuel. The results addressed market outlook and impacts on climate change mitigation, forest management regimes and socioeconomic indicators. This study served as technical background paper for the State of the World´s Forests report 2022 of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
- Assessing future demand of wood products based on the Global Forest Products Model (GFPM)
- Description of demand of supply gaps of industrial roundwood and wood fuel at regional level
- Elaborating scenario of enhanced demand in bioeconomy (construction, textile fiber and bioenergy)
- Assessing the role of natural forests, plantations and agroforestry in future wood supply
- Indicating impacts and requirements, i.e. employment, investments and environmental benefits