Entwicklung von Agroforstsystemen in Kwale
The Kenyan coastal region is characterized by hot, humid conditions with a long dry season, but nevertheless, many areas have clear potential for the commercial production of high value agricultural crops and trees. Asante Capital EPZ is developing an agroforestry business in Kwale County, Coastal Kenya. Its focus is on the commercial production of high value food and/or spice crops and also on forestry, having already invested in veneer and charcoal briquetting plants. UNIQUE was contracted to identify appropriate crops and best management practices, as well as to build the capacity of Asante’s staff and potential partners (i.e. suppliers) in the region.
- Evaluation of various agroforestry options for the business and their potential outgrowers.
- Practical recommendations for improved management of the forestry areas.
- Capacity building of Asante’s staff in the key areas of planning, agronomy and extension.
- Development of Practical Training Manuals for the main forestry and agroforestry systems.
- Development of an impact monitoring tool for the business.