Value Chains in the Forest Sector
The Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) is receiving funds from the International Climate Initiative (ICI) of the German Ministry of the Environment (BMUB) to support elaboration of the Peruvian National Forest and Wildlife Plan (PLNFFS). The PLNFFS is a planning and implementation instrument to implement Peru´s Forest and Wildlife Law and of the Forest and Wildlife Policy. In order to become a strategic and cross-sectoral instrument, the PLNFFS is elaborated by an inter-ministerial committee under the leadership of the Peruvian Forest Service (SERFOR). To suggest ways to add more value in the timber industries, the GGGI support to SERFOR and the PLNFFS commissioned UNIQUE to collect the best possible data to have an up-to-date picture of value chains in the forest sector.
- Analyzing the macro-economic situation and benchmarking of the Peruvian forest sector.
- Analyzing the value chains for kiln dry lumber, pallets, particle board, and school furniture.
- Assessing the technological, organizational and institutional context of the value chains.
- Describing their structure, economic performance, and market dynamics.
- Identifying and analyzing the potential for enhancing value adding and market shares.
- Suggesting policy recommendations to initiate value chain improvements.