Mechanismus für umweltverträgliche Entwicklung
The Uganda Nile Basin Reforestation Projects – comprising five separate small-scale projects – are among the first Afforestation/Reforestation (A/R) Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) projects in Africa. The projects aim to benefit from a new financing mechanism which will help overcome the current financial barriers to A/R in Uganda and enable local communities to benefit from CDM. Due to their pioneering character, the projects faced many challenges during project design and implementation, e.g. the limited experience with A/R projects in Uganda in general and that of the project developer: the National Forestry Authority (NFA). The World Bank’s BioCarbon Fund (BioCF) requested UNIQUE to support the NFA at different stages of the project development cycle and in implementation planning by providing technical support and training.
- Prepare Project Idea Notes (PIN) and Project Design Documents (PDDs).
- Assist the NFA with documentation and preparation for project registration and validation.
- Develop standard operating procedures and manuals.
- Develop a monitoring plan and data documentation system with inventory guidance.
- Assess project implementation status and emissions reductions using BioCF Smart-Tool.
- Integrate capacity building including staff training and coaching for verification preparation.